Saturday, August 2, 2008

Foiled Again (but I'm not really sad about it)

Thursday: No workout. Had some digestive issues that morning and didn't want to find out at the gym that it hadn't gone away. That was my lame excuse anyway.

Friday: No workout. Made a lovely dinner for b/f and a nice relaxing evening.

Saturday: I keep forgetting about the early closing hours on weekend evenings. I planned to both jog and swim, but ended up only running, with a few weights thrown in.

I actually had a pretty good run today. 3 miles in 34 min and 45 seconds, 2 minutes less than last time! Apparently, if I walk less of the distance, my time improves. I must remember that. I did 1.25 miles jogging, walked .15, jogged 1.01 (yes, the .01 is a big deal), walked .2, and then finished jogging for .6 miles.

I may have found a secret to my success. I downloaded 2 short podcasts, one was a news piece from Onion radio (who knew that existed), and the other was a This American Life story from NPR. While listening to these, my first half mile flew by. Maybe it was because it was my first half mile and I am getting in a little better shape, but it seemed to distract me more than the music usually does. I wish I had more of them downloaded for this jog. Maybe next time. I hope I can wear my iPod in the race. I don't see why not. I'm guessing it is not a good idea on the bike portion, but hopefully it will be a legal distraction during the running.

There's another thing to add to my to-do list...create my race day playlist! Fun!

No comments: