Wednesday, August 20, 2008

An Army Of One...Or I Don't Wanna Be A Soldier!

On the treadmill, I took the "Army fitness test". I scored a 5.5. That's great. Or I'll tell everyone it is great, because they didn't explain it. 5.5 out of what? What is the minimum? Would Uncle Sam want me??? Inquiring minds want to know. Maybe I need some career options, people.

I can't believe I spent $11 to work out. Since I am traveling for work, and I haven't worked out since Sunday, I felt it was pretty necessary. What with the whole triathlon coming up in like 3.5 days, I decided to use the hotel's gym. It is an actual gym that regular people use, so I had to pay for a daily rate. And that is the discount hotel price.

So let's break down how the $11 was spent. Refrigerated towels (nice!) - $4. Polite but not particularly helpful front desk attendants (no tour or any words about where things were) - $2. Water cooler that ran out of water when I needed to fill up - $2. Huge Lysol wipe dispenser - $2. Fancy equipment with individual TV screens that I couldn't figure out how to use the volume or closed-captioning - $1. Working out instead of being lazy on the huge, fully-pillowed king bed - priceless. OK, not priceless - $11. I already told you that.

Back to why you are here. I did 30 minutes on the bike (8 miles), followed by 2 miles on the treadmill (21 minutes). Guess what??? I ran the 2 miles without stopping! I think if I can get past the first .75 mile desire to stop, I can run for much longer than I think I can.

I am worried after the bike ride though. I selected the hill program. I was shocked to discover after being on the bike for 3 minutes, it said I had only gone .25 miles. Normally, I go a whole mile in less than 3 minutes. So I seriously hope that either this bike was on drugs or that the race path does not have many hills.

I'm not sure about training the rest of the week. I figured I would rest on Saturday. I definitely need to swim at least one more time. So maybe another semi-long workout tomorrow night, and take it easy Fri/Sat. All I know for sure is that I plan to go to IHOP tomorrow to eat lots of carbs in the form of pancakes.

1 comment:

nicole said...

I'm glad you went. When you are rocking the triatholon on Sunday you will be glad too. Your pace sounds awesome! I did 30 minutes on a bike for the first time yesterday, after 45 on the treadmill, and it was hard. So I totally couldn't hang with you. Pancakes sound yummy.