Tuesday, August 12, 2008

New Kicks, New Lease On Life?

I had a strange day yesterday...lots of wasted gas running errands. At lunch, I planned to go to Lowe's to buy a gift card for a wedding this weekend. After I drove through construction zone and lunch hour traffic, I realized that the store I was heading to was a Home Depot. And I didn't know where Lowe's was by work. So decided to do that later since there is a Lowe's close to the house. But it wasn't a total loss...there was a Taco Bueno on the way back :0

On my way home, I decided to stop by a Luke's Locker with a recommendation from a friend. I mapquested the location, but didn't print the map. Instead, like I do for errands (not important events), I didn't want to waste the paper printing, so I just drew myself a little map on scratch paper. And like it happens regularly, I got lost. I couldn't find the place. I drove around for 30 minutes, but got to see some really nice houses in Colleyville. I was about to call and ask for directions, but the store closed at 7:00, and there wouldn't have been time to do any actual shopping. I was frustrated, and saw my chance of doing an outside running before night time slipping away.

Since I was on that side of the highway, after I got to a familiar landmark, I decided to go to that Lowe's and there happened to be a Kohl's across the street. They had way more running shoes than I expected (but no knowledgeable sales people)...so it took me awhile. I tried on about 5 pairs of shoes, and finally decided on these (I think).

http://www.asicsamerica.com/products/product.aspx?PRODUCT_ID=240010971&TITLE_CATEGORY_ID=250001549

I have never bought this brand of running shoes, so hopefully they fit well with my feet. They were on sale, and I'm sure Kohl's will put them even more on sale with the no tax holiday weekend. Oh well, I'd rather not shop in that mess.

I rushed home, petted the cats for about 2 seconds, threw on my clothes, grabbed my ipod and water bottle, and drove to the track (only .6 miles away, but I didn't have time to dawdle..it was after 8 by this point.

Running outside is hard! Even in the new shoes. I only did 2 miles (getting too dark, I was very sad :) in about 23 minutes. And sweated a ton. It felt good to know the pace though. Felt so much slower than on the treadmill, but my time was about where I expected it to be. I didn't have the energy to bump up the speed - the treadmill makes it easier since it forces you to go that extra speed.

So far, no blisters from the new shoes. They were pretty comfortable.

Almost halfway done with my "hell month." Tonight is b/f b-day...going to big dinner so I should eat light for lunch. Oh was that me that just went to the vending machine to get some chips for my sandwich? I actually called and made reservations last week! McDonald's employees act like I'm crazy when I try to do that. They asked if it was a special occasion, so maybe we will get a free dessert!

2 comments:

Steamed Dumpling said...

:) I had the same thoughts when I ran outside for the first time. I do better on the dirt trails in the back of my neighborhood. I can't seem to run on pavement. It seems to be a mental thing. My legs and lungs won't cooperate until I've hit dirt.

You're doing great! Much more than I could do.

I hope your neighborhood McD has one of those interactive screens. That would so top off the night ;) LOL!

Jeanne said...

You need to invest in a personal navigation system! Claire is a part of our family now! *sigh* Where would we be without her? LOL.