Thursday, July 3, 2008

My healthy ego has got me into trouble again

Believing the theory that it's not really true until I blog about it, I've delayed typing this post.

I must have been drunk when I agreed to it. I know I was on vacation, so maybe my feet were in the sand, and my head in the clouds. But I said yes. I even registered. It's official. I'm signed up to do a triathlon in less than 2 months. Sure, its a "mini" triathlon. That just means you are supposed to do it faster. I want to quit already and I'm only in training...if you call not doing anything for the past, oh 3-4 days training. At least it has got me to exercise more than I had been. Cue "The Life Of Brian"'s "Look On The Bright Side Of Life."

The plan is to swim 300 yards, bike 14 miles, and then jog 2.9 miles. Each part is the hardest part.

I think maybe, just maybe I could work up to 2.9 miles. I'm only at 1 now without stopping. And maybe I could bike 14 miles...7 of which will be coasting. The wild card is the swim. I have never ever swam in a real race, or even in a class or anything. After a futile attempt of swimming laps at the public pool on a Sunday evening, I decided to join a gym for the summer. At least now maybe I will know what I'm in for. I'm going today or tomorrow to check out the week-free trial at 24 Hour Fitness, which is not open 24 hours on the weekend, surprisingly.

If I don't post much anymore, its because my arms will no longer be able to lift up to the keyboard.

1 comment:

nicole said...

You are awesome. I knew there was no way I could do it, the swim being the big problem. I'm pretty sure I would die. And the idea of jogging 2.9 miles after riding a bike? Yeah right!

I'll cheer you on from the sidelines.