Sunday, July 20, 2008

Closing Time

Friday & Saturday: Big fat nothing for a work out. But I did eat a Sonic hamburger, fries and Dr. Pepper for lunch for Friday, since I had been pretty good all week. I didn't get cheese because I am on a strict regimen. I followed that up with chipotle fajitas at a new mexican place we tried Friday night. It is a keeper! Their salsa is full of cilantro, which I must say is very tasty. Neither of my parents or my boyfriend are a fan of cilantro. I love it! They are obviously insane. Saturday and Sunday were full of bbq beef, beans, potato chips, beer, broc & cauliflower salad, and brownies.

Sunday: The song "Closing Time" was playing on my iPod as they announced that they gym was closing. I had forgotten that 24 hour fitness gym closed at 8pm on Sunday nights. Perhaps it is the name of the gym that made me forget. Because I actually had to do some work work today and I didn't want to go workout, I didn't make it there until a little after 7. I had planned to do some part of a work out on all three legs of my triathlon. So I jumped on the bike. I wanted to do a good 30 minutes. I had almost reached the time when I heard they were announcing something over the speaker. I assumed they were saying the babysitting service was closing at 8. But then I had a sneaking suspicion that I recalled someone at sometime saying that the gym closed early on Sundays. While I wasn't done with my 30 minutes, I was approaching 10 miles, a good round number. So I quickly got to that mile marker, jumped off and went to the treadmill. I knew swimming was out because I only had less than twenty minutes. What with the costume change the shower, that just wouldn't allow me to work up a good sweat. So onto the endless road machine. I didn't want to be a bad guest and wait until 8 to finish my workout and then head to the locker room and then mosey out. I wanted to be in my car by 8. Tthat meant if I really wanted to get a mile in, I would have to go fast, and no walking. So I started off strong at 5mph and kept shifting up. With the announcements coming fast and furious every 5 minutes, I did my fastest mile time so far - 10 min 20 secs. I had to increase to 7mph for the last .10 to do it, but I accomplished my altered goal with a few minutes to spare. I didn't give myself adequate cool down time so I felt kinda yucky...but the knowledge that I could go harder if I was motivated felt good. Goodnight...I'm sure I will sleep good tonight. The beer and Tylenol Nighttime (my knee has been hurting a little) will hopefully insure that :)

Useless footnote: I tend to start a lot of sentences with "So..." I have already cleaned out a few, but there are plently more left. It is hard for me to tell a story without "so then...". Will try to improve.

1 comment:

nicole said...

I do the same thing with the "so." I have to really concentrate on not using it every sentence on my posts. You rock for cranking out a mile that fast. I don't think I could do it.