Sunday, July 27, 2008

I chickened out...but it wasn't all my fault!

Saturday: Just did the treadmill and some weights. I didn't even make one mile without stopping. But did 2 miles in about 25 minutes, mostly running. Didn't want to tire myself out so that I could pig out Saturday night at dinner with old friends!

Sunday: Today was supposed to be the day of me taking my first group class at the gym. I decided I wanted to try "coached cycling" which I assumed was like the spinning class I've heard about. The sign on the wall said the class was at 10 and at 10:30 in the bike room. I planned to go to the 10:00 class, but the snooze button just kept getting pressed and then my brother called, so of course I had to talk to him. Anyway, I got there in plenty of time for the 10:30 class. The classroom has one wall of windows, so I could see the 10:00 class was still going on (and boy were they sweaty). So I did a few crunches while I was waiting. Well, 10:30 came and went. I was waiting for the class to let out and they never did. About 10:35, a guy walked by and then entered the class, and joined in. There were only a few empty bikes. Well, I didn't feel like walking in during the middle of class, so I didn't. I guess there is one hour long class, and then you can join in at the halfway mark if you want. Seems weird to me. I will try again next week, and show up at 10. Then that means I have to be there for an hour!

Anyway, since I had my padded bike shorts on, I got on the stationary bike not in the classroom. I did 12 miles in a little over 30 minutes. After cooling down a bit, I went to the pool and did 14 laps! Pretty good for me. I think I swam every stroke there is, plus a few that I made up struggling just to get to the end of the pool. Finished with a hot tub soak. I realized it doesn't matter if I pee 2 minutes before the hot tub, I will still get the sensation that I need to go again. But it usually goes away after the first few minutes.

***NEW SUBJECT. I consider August 1st the day I really need to get in gear with the whole triathlon workout thing. In my head, i thought that I would be able to do all of the events individually without stopping by now. Then I would use the three weeks in August to really work on my conditioning to be able to do the multiple events in one day. Well, I can't do the swimming without stopping, and I sure can't do the 3 mile jog without stopping. The biking is a maybe - I can do it indoors, not sure about outside with hills.

Incidentally, August is the busiest single month for my at work. I have two major reports that I work at this time of year. I usually work about an hour late on most days and few hours on the weekend to make the process smooth. The guy that was hired to help me out is going to be gone for two weeks in August. He asked my boss if he could take the time out, and he said yes without checking with me. I don't begrudge him the time he will be spending in Europe - just because he's 23 and has been several times, and I haven't been at all. I just wish someone could have checked with me. Anywhoo...

And as the fates would have it, August is shaping up to be the busiest social month of the year for some reason. I have at least one (many times 3) event to go to each weekend. I know people with kids and more friends with me do this every month, but not me! This is from my memory, so I may be leaving something out:
  • Boyfriend's birthday, I already have something planned, I just need to figure out what day to do it on. Hoping to buy the present today.
  • Good friend's 30th birthday - I really hope I can get together sometime to celebrate with her (she lives out of town).
  • Co-worker/friend's wedding, which entails: shower, bach party, and Friday night wedding (on previous friend's actual birthday) on 3 consecutive weekends...may bow out of the shower.
  • Niece's bday - need to get a present...have no idea what to get
  • My brother and his gang are coming one weekend to hang out and go to Six Flags before school starts.
  • My regular book club meeting
  • BBQ for another good friend who is coming in town from California
  • Party barge lake party thing (this is actually the weekend after the triathlon)
  • Baby shower (also weekend after triathlon). Hope to buy the present today (Sorry if you are reading this...I won't post I what I buy ;)

How am I supposed to work out 6 days a week with all this going on and still keep my boyfriend and keep my clients happy? I told b/f he would just have to bear with me during August (except for his bday, I will give up all for him on that day), like he told me during the hockey playoffs. I guess less TV for me, although MadMen starts tonight, and I will be watching that every week, even if it means shortening my work out.

3 comments:

justme said...

I think it's weird, too, that it's not really a second class but just an extension of the first. I wouldn't have walked in either.

How old is your niece?

nicole said...

You need TiVo. And you can do all those crazy things I'm sure.

Hey! I'm Blogging Here. said...

I think you'll be amazed at what you can do in three weeks of "intense" training. Plus on race day you'll have that extra punch of adrenaline pushing you through... as well as the "end in sight" syndrome.

I need - DESPERATELY - to get back in shape.