Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Laziness Runs Rampant At Local House! And To Install Or Not To Install? (Bonus Post)

Monday AND Tuesday - no workout. I am super lazy.

Since I have nothing to say about that, I have a house dilemma to discuss.

I love my front door. It is my favorite upgrade. Maybe I have mentioned, maybe I haven't. But the love is there. It is dark and wooden, and has a design in it. For some reason, I don't have a picture of it. And I know it is just not me. Several people have commented on it. How it makes the house complete, it is beautiful from the street, etc. And the door has two sides, so I can enjoy its beauty from the inside as well. Now I know how proud parents must feel for their offspring.

I have been toying with the idea of putting in a glass storm door in the front. The reasons are two-fold. During the day when I am at home, I could open the wood door, and let more sun into the living room. The cats would love to look out into the world from another vantage point. Maybe it is because I grew up with the front door open, and I just like the welcoming feel to it...not sure. But I like the idea. Also, I think there is some airflow happening around the door. When it is windy, there is a loud, howling noise. I know some of it comes from the shape of the porch and roof. But I think some comes from a draft under the door. Maybe a storm door would limit that.

Now for the dilemma part. A storm door would interfere with the natural beauty and elegance of the wood door. Sure, it is mostly glass, but there is a frame around it, and the glass causes a reflection, so you can't see the door in some angles.

Also, it is not an exactly easy install. My parents were in town this weekend, so we went to check it out. My beautiful door is not a standard size, apparently. The storm door is much smaller than the entrance it needs to fit. So my dad would have to fill in some extra space. It can be done - my neighbor got one installed.

In addition, storm doors come in only 5 colors, none of which look particularly good with my trim or door color. So we would have to match the color and paint it. But my dad says he can do all of that...he just needs to bring the right tools.

So what do you think? I'm leaning towards doing it since I spend most of my time indoors. My friend is against because she is an even bigger fan of the door.

2 comments:

Jeanne said...

Do it! I love having storm doors. The cats will love it, you will love it, everyone will be happy. : ) Home Depot can install them for you, too. Look & see if you can get one special ordered to fit your size frame. Home Depot installed all 4 of our exterior doors and did a great job.

Unknown said...

I also like the feel of open doors and I like the light it lets in too.
Upgrade door is definitely on the to do list for us one day.