Monday, January 29, 2007

Boring Post

I keep getting freaked out. Every article about home ownership keeps saying, "...this will be the single biggest purchase you will ever make." I get it. I know. It's scary enough. Stop pointing it out.

So I did a little home work to get prepared for my home purchase. I went to my library and checked out 10 Steps to Home Ownership: A Workbook For First-Time Buyers by Ilyce R. Glick. That sounds like a made up name, doesn't it? The book was actually very good, I thought. Easy to read and even had worksheets to fill out. Of course, since this was a library book, I couldn't write on it, which diminished some of the fun. But it had formulas on how much you can afford, how much to estimate for the closing costs, different types of loans, etc. I read almost all of it, cover to cover.

But I did skip over the emotional issues (deciding if you are ready to be a home buyer, how to decide what is important in a house - how to resolve if there are 2 people making the decision, etc.). I skipped over it because I don't want to be talked out of buying a house. For once, I don't care if Suze Orman says that you have to have 20% down and 8 months worth of expenses saved up. I'm ready for this. I have to keep telling myself. If people way less prepared and with way less savings have done this, then why shouldn't I?

And I must admit, I did skip over the appendix of amortization tables. I know, I know - I must not be that serious about home-ownership if I can't read a 50 page data table showing different interest accumulation with different interest rates. Sue me. But you had better wait until after I purchase the house, otherwise I have nothing you can sue me for.

1 comment:

justme said...

This is not a boring post at all. I'm intrigued with the whole process and I'm very proud that you're doing this. Tell us about where and what you might be buying. :)