Friday, August 31, 2007

A House Closing and a Funeral

It has been an emotionally draining day. I closed at 9:30, was done by a little after ten, then drove straight to a funeral. You take the good, you take the bad, and then you have the facts of life, the facts of life. I almost refused to sign my credit card slip at lunch because my hand was already tired from all the signage from the morning.

I've had a happy hour(s), therefore it is official. No turning back now. I am a home-owner. I am a home-owner. Let me say it one more time and maybe I will believe it. I am a home-owner. Nope, didn't work. Still don't believe it.

I can't run around my house neck'd like I planned because the mini-blinds are not in yet...but otherwise I can do as I please on my "homestead." As if I am pioneer or something.

I feel like a new parent must feel when they leave the hospital. Someone else has been taking care of my newborn, but lets me look and hold and touch, but when I am tired, I have been able to send the baby back the nursery. Now, I have to figure out how to take care of the house myself. You get so much information in such a short time. I have to figure out the water sprinkler system. Something about an air conditioner in my attic, and changing the filter every 9 months. Something about applying for a homestead exemption. Something about a security system. Something about new grass and trees have to be watered. And you have to water your foundation? What the crap? All I really heard was, here's the keys to your house and you don't owe a cent until October 1st. Well, aside from the really big check that you just wrote. I ran out of room writing out one-million, eight-hundred thirty-seven dollars and 92 cents. Couldn't they have rounded up or down? Ok, it wasn't that much. But it might as well be. I won't have that much money saved up again for a long, long, long time.

It really has been a cool experience. But I'm sure it would be awesome to share it with someone. Sure, I have talked with lots of people and shared my joy, but I don't it's the same thing as actually "sharing" the experience with someone. Being able to look at someone and say, this is ours! For better or worse. I have a sneaking suspision that it won't quite be as cool when I walk in the house tomorrow for the first time with my parents. But maybe it will feel even better, because I know that I have done this all by myself. No one else helped me save the down payment. No one else could make the decisions for me. It's all me, baby. For better or worse.

1 comment:

nicole said...

I am excited for you. And, I think it is awesome that you bought a house on your own. Honestly, if it was me, I would be totally intimidated and never do it probably. Yes, you do have to water your foundation some. Get a soaker hose.
You'll figure stuff out. Ask your neighbors. You're resourceful. Happy moving!