Friday, December 29, 2006

I hate being right.

They did it. Of course they did. And I knew it was coming. Doesnt' make me feel any better though.

I received a notice that my apartment lease is coming up for renewal. They gushed over how lovely it's been having me as a tennant, and they hope to continue our relationship. I believe our exact "relationship" has consisted of 11 rent checks given by me, 1 maintenance call, 4 package pick-ups, and countless community newsletters reminding me to pick up after my non-existant dog. And a partridge in a pear tree.

And how would they like to thank me for being such a wonderful tennant and partner? By jacking up my rent, of course! What says "we value you" more than a note saying we want to value you more? However, they did make note that what I am paying is still lower than the market value. Right. I have no idea how they calculate the market value. In my 8 years of apartment living, I have known no one who pays the market value.

The "slight" increase is only good if I sign up for another year. And of course, i don't want a year, since I WILL be buying a house this summer. So who knows what my actual increase will be. But they have me by the figurative balls, so I will just pay the money and move on my merry way. Thank God (literally) that I got a small raise with my promotion, so this will not be a hardship. But since our insurance premiums went up by more than 50%, I'm not seeing much of that extra money. And I know that my hardship would be nothing compared to most people in the world. It would mean not eating out as much and not buying new clothes just cuz they are so cute! Like the new suit I bought while shopping for my sister's birthday present!

Happy New Year's dear readers!

1 comment:

nicole said...

I want to see the new suit!
I have always hated the fake friendliness of those kinds of letters. As if their soft words and (imagined) gentle tone lessen the reality of increased rent. Just tell me you're raising the rent b/c you can and get on with it.