Sunday, December 17, 2006

Blog Entry: The Final, The Omega, The What Was I thinking???

Yes, it has been less than 10 minutes since my last entry. And yes, things can change that quickly. Since I am preempting my house purchase, I don't need you dear blog anymore.

Really, what was I thinking?? I can't handle this major investment by myself.

The toilet in my apartment leaked yesterday. I was washing my hands, so I didn't see where the water was coming from. I just heard a not normal sound coming from the corner. I look over, and water is seeping on the floor. Not gushing, but persistent none the less. I think it was clean water, not from the bowl. But who's to know. I threw some towels down and decided to investigate later. I have another bathroom, so not a big deal. I also have an apartment maintenance service, so again, no big deal. Sadly, my house was not in good shape to receive visitors, even maintence men who look at toilets for a living. So I postponed the call.

So just now, I go back to the bathroom to see if things have calmed down. Maybe Mr. Toilet was just expressing his dissatisfaction. Perhaps his tantrum was over. So I flushed again. No major overflow, just a few drops coming from the lid of the reservoir. So I take the lid off to watch and see the process. Maybe I can see what's going on. The water level doesn't look out of the ordinary. I flush again. The water starts to go down. When the level of the water goes below the end of the hose where the water comes in, the hose has nothing to hold it down. So instead of filling up the reservoir, it starts spraying at a 45 degree angle (my head being at about a 30 degree angle). So I grab the hose and point it downward after only a few long seconds. There is not too much water on the floor this time; most of it is now absorbed in the roll of toilet paper. And my hair.

I'm not much of a do-it-yourselfer. I can hang pictures and curtains - as long as you don't tug too hard on them. But fixing appliances and plumbing? Not my forte. How will I manage a house by myself? There's no 24 hour maintenence number.

Living in apartments isn't that bad, right? I can deal with this for the next 50 years. Maybe I'll just make things easy and move directly into a nice retirement apartment complex. I'll probably end up there anyway.

Or maybe I need to change my strategy for finding a husband. I will get off of match.com and go to HandyMan.com. I've heard plumbers make a lot of money.

We'll see how I feel in the morning. For now I feel the need to take a shower. Hopefully, the drain won't stop up.

6 comments:

The Merchant said...

Hi there. Stumbled across your blog by pure chance, and what a refreshing read from the rather mundane in blogosphere (I made that word up, just by the way). Like looking for a matchstick when the power goes out, and finding a torch instead :)

nicole said...

Are you saying you are done blogging? You are too funny to quit. Don't feel pressure to post every day. I like reading yours, so you better not quit. I know I'm very threatening and you are now recommitted to blogging. So get with it!

justme said...

I agree with Nic! Please don't go! I love your blog! I NEED your blog! It's part of my "kid free things" I get to do! Write when you can! :)

No Longer At The Kids' Table said...

I'm sure I will keep writing - it was just my reaction to toilet water spraying in my face. I was overwhelmed with the ramifications of buying a house, and since I started this to voice my experiences in buying a house, I said I didn't need the blog anymore. We'll see how I feel after I renew my lease (for hopefully the last time ever) and they jack up the price.

nicole said...

Glad to hear you will keep on writing. Home ownership does come with more responsibility, but you can also paint and texture and change things to your heart's (and wallet's) content. It is worth the effort.

Hey! I'm Blogging Here. said...

I think if toilet water had sprayed me in the face, I would have taken a shower BEFORE blogging about it. But that's just me. ;)

I enjoyed your commentary on the travel as well. I am always mystified by the people trying to get a large, hard-edged object to fit into the overhead bin simply by ramming it up there over and over hoping that the laws of physics and geometry change from one whack to the next. And the best is when they actually lose their grip on the unwieldy bag and drop it on the person in the aisle seat directly below them. Sometimes this starts an altercation, in which case I have to open my peanuts early to fully enjoy the show. Other times it's actually me in that aisle seat... and in those cases I find it much less amusing.