Thursday, December 7, 2006









Thirteen Things that I like about winter


1…. It's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas! Well, not a lot. More like a little. But the cold weather certainly helps. Somehow 80 degree weather and Christmas just do not add up. Unless you live in the southern hemisphere. Which I don't.
2…. I don't feel the need to shave as much. Luckily I don't have a sig. other to complain about that. Not sure if the shaving causes the not having a boyfriend, or the other way. Didn't have a boyfriend in the fall, summer or spring. So I guess in my line of work, I would have to say there is a correlation, but not causation.
3…. While it's true that summer shoes are definitely cuter, as a friend of mine stated, I think that winter outfits are much more rich and more adult. Deep browns and creams, navies and light blue, maroons and navy (I like blue by the way).
4…. As an addition to #3, there is less skin being shown in the winter. Not as many teenager girls showing off their g-strings and belly rings.
5…. Curling on the couch or bed with a warm blanket, reading a book.
6…. Curling on the floor in front of roaring fire.
7…. The start of basketball season.
8…. Hot cocoa.
9…. Christmas lights.
10…. It's almost spring time - the best time to live in Texas. Unless you get hit by a tornado in the spring.
11…. If it were to ever stick, pure snow is very beautiful. I love the silence on mornings when you wake up with a blanket of snow.
12…. Ice skating for Mary's birthday.
13…. I love that you can turn anything into a sled if the streets are icy. Since it doesn't happen very often, none of us ever had a real sled growing up. Things we used: my scooter, fiber glass sheets, laundry baskets.


3 comments:

nicole said...

All lovely thoughts I suppose. But summer is still better than winter. And I have some very nice adult summer clothes, so you can just stick it. ;)
And since I hate cold so much, not such a fan of snow and sledding b/c I don't like being in the cold. And--I cuddle up with a blanket and a book all year long b/c my husband has mistaken our house for an igloo and it is always cold. :)

Great list. You are a good advocate for winter.

justme said...

qGreat list! As for #11 - I used to feel the same way. Then we moved to Colorado. That first time it snowed for us was perfect! Everything was peaceful and perfect - - like it was straight out of a Christmas movie or something. Come to find out this snow business is NOT all that great. It pretty much snows off and on from October through February, maybe even March or April. Every snows lasts for days on end. Cabin fever sets in quick. And worst of all? People are required by law to shovel their sidewalk! So after the first few "magical" snowfalls, we began cursing those mornings it snowed again.

Just a few thoughts of a Texan's experience of "pure snow". (o;

justme said...

geez . . . please ignore all those typos. I blame LarryBoy. I get up early to have few uninterrupted "me time" and cleary he didn't read the memo ("didn't", couldn't, whatever) and he heard me get up and he now wants to get up! It's Saturday morning, kid!! Go back to bed! You're SUPPOSED to want to sleep in on a Saturday!

ahem.