Sunday, March 25, 2007

You can pick your realtor, but you can't pick your realtor's nose.

How do you go about picking a real estate agent? I asked co-workers on our intranet recommendations page. Out of 200 employees, I got a whopping 2 responses. But both were people who worked for Ebby Halliday. Maybe that is a good sign. I always thought that name sounded snobbish, so I wouldn't have picked that agency out of the phone book. It is now officially spring (my internal deadline), so I shall be making the call soon. Not sure if April is too soon to meet with an agent if I couldn't buy a house until July. But better early than late.

Also, I picked up 2 real estate magazines in the stand outside of Blockbuster, and it made me surprisingly upbeat. After driving around my first choice in neighborhoods and not finding anything in my price range, this magazine offered many homes below my budget. The exact locations weren't given, but at least I know that there should be something out there for me. I may have to give up on one or two ideals (brand new home, in the zip code I want, below my budget, ready to move in when I am, ocean-front property in Arizona, etc.), but at least I feel reasonably confident that I won't have to sacrifice all of my top criteria!

You know how when you are thinking about something, it seems that all you hear about on the news or in others conversations is that same thing? Well, lately, the news has been revolving around interest rates for homes, the foreclosure rates, and the housing market slump. All signs are pointing toward a good time to buy a house, but not sell one. Is this bad to pray that someone else's misfortune can be my gain? I figure that I did not cause someone to lose their house, so if I can get a good price on a foreclosure, then I will. If not me, then someone else would. I'm not happy the local economy is showing these bad signs, but I was already in the market for a new home so....

Since I am a pessimist, I keep waiting for something to happen to prevent me from buying a house. These are all scenarios that have gone through my head: getting fired, getting laid off, having a heretofore unknown congenital heart disease, having a fire destroy everything in my apartment (even though I have renter's insurance), someone stealing my identity at the last minute and giving me a bad credit score by buying furniture to fill up their new house. But since I am a true pessimist, I know that anyone of those things may and will happen, but not until I have signed on the dotted line, and I am financially responsible for a 30 year mortgage.

A few personal notes (as if all above where not personal notes):
  • My passport came in!
  • I finally sent my tax return in on Saturday night (you don't have to read between the lines to take note of my exciting swinging single life!). After adding in my measly interest from another account, my total that I had to pay went up even more. Makes me not want to put my money in the bank if 30% of the earnings goes back to pay for someone else' Fannie Mae home loan, or goldplaited seat in the White House or wherever it goes.
  • Both cats were succesfully bathed yesterday. They didn't like it, but took it pretty well.
  • I was very much considering joining someone in a 5k race in a few weeks. I went for a jog this morning, and could barely run a mile. Will keep considering.
  • Tennis league starts up again on Tuesday! Time to kick some more old ladies' butts.
  • I had decided to really kick up my savings as I head towards the finish line of down payment savings. Then I started adding up costs that are coming up: semi-annual car insurance in April, the tax payment, I need to go to the eye doctor for an exam and get more contacts, the cats just had their yearly exams, my dryer really needs to be replaced, and I have a vacation planned to Galveston in July. I think I will be fortunate to keep to my usual amount.

1 comment:

Steph B said...

That's a great post title! =) Congratulations on starting to take the first step! I know it's scary to take on such a large financial responsibility, but I think it's worth it. (I don't know if that helps you or not...)