Friday, February 2, 2007

Saving myself...for my first house

I am proud of myself for the amount of money that I have saved for the down payment when I look at the total in my savings accounts. But then I divide that by the years that I have been working, almost 7 now, and consider the very good salary I make (I think I am way overpaid, but I won't let my employer know that), and it doesn't seem like enough.

I think of the times I have blown my money away on stupid stuff that I didn't get much enjoyment out of. I think of the idiotic financial advisor at the bank who lost almost one-third of the amount I invested in the stockmarket. I could be so much closer to my goal of home-ownership. However, since I cannot go back in time and change my choices, I can only look to the present and change my current behavior. I need to enjoy my life now, spend where I will get the most benefit, and keep on saving.

The only "savings" grace I can find in this came in the mail yesterday. I received the yearly statement from the church with my donations for tax purposes. (Sidenote: I give a regular amount monthly to the church. It is nowhere near a tithe. That is a personal goal I am working on. I have always given a regular amount, no matter what is going on, and it has gone up as my salary has gone up, so at least there is that.) I'm not telling you this to brag or so that someone will say, good job. It is what is expected, and the least I can do. I'm only telling you this because it made me feel somewhat better about my savings. While the amount for the year was not 'build a new family life center in my name' worthy, it was a pretty good chunk. If over the same 7 years, I had not been making a check to the church, but rather to my savings account, I could have been living in a house by now, probably. However, would He have blessed me with a continually increasing income and a new job? I don't know..probably. I don't think he works that way. But would I feel good about myself in my new house? I don't know...probably not.

1 comment:

nicole said...

We struggle with this too. We made a commitment last year to increase our giving, but then didn't do it. We know that the times we have been consistent have been the least stressful times. Not because we magically had more money, but because we were truly living with the mentality that what we have is God's anyway, and He will provide. And there is greater fulfillment in filling the coffers of the needy (or contributing to filling them) than there is in a chunk of money in the bank.