Monday, April 14, 2008

Rollerderby in the Big Apple

I want to tell you about what I did this past weekend and what I'm doing this coming weekend. Just so you know that life after 30 doesn't revolve around pulling weeds. Although I did that, too.

I went to a roller derby bout on Saturday night! A lady from work joined the all-women roller derby league. It was an interesting sport to watch. If I can figure out how to add video to the blog, I will show you. Very entertaining, loud, and lots of oohs and ouches as the girls pushed and shoved their way around the track. It attracted an interesting mix of people. I went with about 30 or so co-workers and their spouses. I'd say about 1/4 of the people are involved in an alternative lifestyle, not that there's anything wrong with that. Yes, there were plenty of people of the type who wear white before Easter. And also bikers and rockers and metalheads and tattoos and weird facial hair, and the other alternative lifestyle that you may have thought I was referring to. Anyway, my friend lost, and it was her first time to skate. But her goal was to come out alive, and she only has 1 bruise, so mission accomplished. My b/f even bought a Dallas Derby girls t-shirt. To go with his Women's Professional Football League t-shirt. No, I'm not kidding. I think we are going to try to go to one of those games as well.

And now on to the big event! I'm leaving on Wednesday morning to go to the city that is so nice you have to say the name twice! For the first time ever, I'll be in NYC! But I won't be eating any chili there because I'm a Southerner and I know that Wolf brand chili is the only kind to eat and it is definitely not made in NYC. I will be there for 4 nights. So much to do...so much to see...so much to eat! This is my actual priority list: 1) Eat a slice of NY pie - that's pizza to you who aren't in the know 2) Eat a NY hot dog - I've been told not off the cart. Maybe we will go to Nathan's 3) Something cultural 4) Other stuff. I'm going with my b/f. This will be our first trip together. Hopefully we will still be together when we get back. If we do get back. We are returning on an MD-80. American says they are done with the whole wiring check thing. We will see. I'm not sure how I am to travel with. Other than anxious, I'm not sure. I'm trying to be a little spontaneous. Wish me luck!

4 comments:

Jeanne said...

Have fun in NYC!!! I can't wait to hear the details & see lots of pics!

Hey! I'm Blogging Here. said...

If you post the video on youtube, you can paste the link in your blog. :) I would love to see it!

Good luck in NY! It's a fun city. Make sure you perambulate around Central Park at least once. I also recommend a musical.

nicole said...

Who says perambulate any more? ;-)

I'm still laughing at the idea of "trying to be spontaneous."

Steamed Dumpling said...

LOL! Nic, laughing along side you on the spotaneity thing.