Saturday, March 8, 2008

Fire and Ice




I
The morning after...
We had two of the four elements of the Greeks at the house this week. What are they again? Fire, water, wind, and earth? Ok, I guess I had 3. Well, there probably was some wind too. Maybe it was all four wrapped into one winter storm.

After leaving work a little early to avoid the icy roads, I decided to be brave and attempt another fire in the fireplace. After the smoky disaster of last time, I was hesitant to say the least. But I figured it would be the last really cold week before spring. I wanted to get rid of the firewood I had in the garage.

It worked! No smoke escaped into the house. It all went up the chimney as designed. It was very cozy, I must say. Except I was all alone. Due to the bad weather, my Lost watching party was cancelled. Ok, not much of a party, but usually 1 or 2 people come over to watch. Only because I have DVR so we can stop and discuss, and more importantly rewind, to answer all the wtf questions.
I saw my share of wintry conditions this week. On Monday night, we had snow flurries. On Tues/Wed. I was in Minneapolis. They had a very pretty snowfall as I was heading to the airport to fly back. Then I went to the Dallas Stars hockey game Wed. night (my first, it was fun! free tickets...even more fun!) I wasn't prepared for the coldness inside, but duh! They skate on ice. Then we had another snowfall on Thursday/Friday. There are still some patches of unmelted snow in the shadows. But should melt by tomorrow as it will be 60 degrees.
Oh, and I played tennis this morning at 9:00 am. When it was 26 degrees. Yes, I said 26. But we won, so I guess it was worth it. That's Texas for you. 70 degrees and I get a sunburn, then frostbite, and then the great thaw until next November.

1 comment:

Amy D said...

Hey, I was at the Stars game on Wednesday, too! But I learned my lesson last time -- this time I went layered and with a coat!