Friday, June 13, 2008

No longer at the kids table, but still stuck on the pullout sofa bed in the living room

Guess where I am right now? If you guessed on the road in Louisiana, you'd be right! This state doesn't seem that big on a map, but it covers quite a bit of this road trip.

So we are heading home after a successful trip. My brother did get married, after 2 different location changes. The original spot was having stormy weather, so they changed it to the private hotel beach in town. They hurriedly set up the little alter thing and the chairs, and the bride was about to walk down to the beach when the storm caught up with us. So everyone quickly grabbed some chairs and ran into the hotel lobby. They ended up performing the ceremony in the atrium of the hotel, which was actually quite pretty. It had a fountain and lots of greenery. The only drawback was it was noisy, so we couldn't actually hear much of the vows and stuff. But they did get to go back to the beach and take pictures. So I now have another sister and a new niece.

The beach was beautiful and the house was great. More so on this vacation than others I really felt like a 3rd wheel (or the 19th wheel on a semi?). It is difficult being a single adult when everyone around you is married and/or has kids. The younger kids don't really understand that you can be an adult and not married. They either think that you are a teenager, or wonder what is wrong that you aren't married. Maybe it was because I actually have a b/f now and I was missing him, and trying to picture him on the trip with me that I was feeling a bit left out. Who knows. My "bedroom" on this trip was the living room, and I slept on the pullout couch. Which meant that I was awake until the last person went to bed, and I was awakened with whoever made the first pot of coffee (or more accurately whenever the baby woke up for his first sippy cup of milk, usually about 6:15). I actually had the choice to sleep there or the top loft room, but that room was pretty hot. My nephew took it.

I know that logistically, it was really the only arrangement that made sense. And all and all, it was fine. And since I didn't pay for the house, I can't complain.

The beaches were gorgeous! No matter how much sunscreen I put on, I still usually manage to get sunburned. I wore a t-shirt most of the time. My ears even got red from yesterday.

Back to the real world again on Monday!

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

Glad you had a good time! Post some pics!